The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a multi-year programme that promotes teaching in public schools. Bursaries are available to enable eligible students to complete a full teaching qualification in an area of national priority.
The following must be read before making an application for a Funza Lushaka bursary for 2020
Should you have a criminal record, charged of misconduct or dismissed from work, kindly note that you are not eligible to apply for this bursary.
For 1st time entrants to university:
- An exemption, endorsement, or ‘admission to bachelor degree studies’ pass at matric/Grade 12 level.
- At least a level 4 pass at matric level in the subject which the applicant will specialize to teach.
- For students who wish to specialize in the Foundation Phase, a pass in Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy at Grade 12 level is required. In addition, at least a level 4 pass in the Home Language is required. If a student completed matric prior to 2008 when Mathematics was not compulsory, a student may still be considered based on an overall good performance (Average of at least 50%).
- Students who wish to specialize in the teaching of Technology subjects, including CAT, and who do not have these subjects at matric level, must have at least a level 4 pass in Mathematics.
- If the institution’s admission requirements are higher than the bursary requirement and vice versa then the higher requirement will apply.
For new applicants already at university
The student must have:
- The student must have passed all of the modules studied in 2019 or the last year of study at the Higher Education Institution.
- At least a 55% average across all the modules studied in 2019 or in the applicant’s last year of study at a Higher Education Institution.
- The student must have at least 55% average in modules studied in 2019 or in the applicant’s last year of study at university which relate directly to the priority area teaching specialization.
- These are minimum criteria. The Funza Lushaka bursary is a prestigious bursary that must be awarded firstly on the basis of academic ability. The criteria applied at particular institutions may be higher than those suggested here, but cannot be lower.
For new applicants enrolling for PGCE
- The student must have successfully completed a recognized qualification that qualifies him/her to be admitted for a PGCE.
- To be considered for a PGCE in Foundation Phase Teaching a student must have majored in Psychology and an African Language.
- To be considered for PGCE in Intermediate Phase, Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching the student must have majored in the subject he/she wishes to specialize in from the B. degree.
- The student must have at least TWO identified priority subjects at second year level;
- The student must have sufficient modules in the identified priority subjects to qualify to teach it as a subject at school.
For existing bursars
The student must:
- The student must have passed at least two-thirds (66.6%) of all the subject modules studied in the last year of study at the university.
- The student must have passed at least two-thirds (66.6%) of the priority subject area modules studied in the last year of study at the Higher Education Institution.
- If a student is doing one priority subject he/she must pass it to qualify for re-award;
- The student must be progressing to the next level/year of study.
- The students must achieve at least 50% average across all subject modules
Applicants must note that these are minimum criteria.
Meeting these criteria does not mean automatic acceptance for the bursary.
There are a limited number of bursaries available, and the best students will be selected for the bursary.
How to apply
- Login to e-Gov portal with your previous login details or Register a new account. (Once registered, login with your new login details)
- On the e-Services Menu select Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Enter the OTP received on the preferred channel
- Click Next on the Funza Lushaka landing page
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- On the dashboard menu click on the 2020 application button
- Follow the steps to complete the required field with your information
- Accept the declaration to confirm the information captured
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ON THE EDUCATION DEPT WEBSITEOpportunity Closing Date: Thursday, April 30, 2020Opportunity is closing in 125 daysArticle Category: Bursaries 2020Company Offering the Opportunity: Funza LushakaOpportunity available in: Eastern Cape / Free State / Gauteng / KwaZulu-Natal / Limpopo / Mpumalanga / North West / Northern Cape / Western CapeTags: funzabursaryteachingfundingApply for Teaching BursariesApply for funzaBest teaching bursary