NSFAS offers student loans and bursaries for students who qualify. Students wishing to submit appeals to NSFAS only have today left to do so.
NSFAS offers student loans and bursaries for students who qualify. Last year they approved more than 300 000 applications for funding – but they also rejected 65 000.
If your application is refused you can appeal to NSFAS to reconsider.
NSFAS has announced that the closing date for the submission of appeals by both new and continuing students has been extended to March 20, 2020.
Students studying at TVET Colleges have up until March 31st, 2020 to appeal.
NSFAS said an appeal form can be downloaded from the NSFAS website, www.nsfas.org.za, and must be completed and submitted to the Financial Aid Office at the institution.
Alternatively, students can submit appeals directly to NSFAS, along with the required documentation, to email@example.com.
Appeals will only be considered on the following grounds:
- Material change in combined household income (proof of loss of income needed with a fully completed NSFAS form for students that were not previously funded);
- Loss of a bursary/sponsor in the 2019 academic cycle (documented proof should be provided and should be accompanied by a fully completed NSFAS application form);
- Failure to meet academic criteria where prior academic performance has been satisfactory (provide supporting information and documentation that provides details of the reasons that affected performance);
- Failure to meet academic criteria due to medical condition (s) or death of an immediate family member (provide supporting information and documentation);
- Student had a gap year in NSFAS funding or failed to register previously and could not reapply for funding;
- More than one student from the same household concurrently enrolled at a university/TVET college; and
- Applying for an approved post graduate qualification (see section F on the appeal form for list).
Students are encouraged to log in on the myNSFAS self-service portal www.nsfas.org.za to check their application status update, for those students that have been approved for funding, their status will now reflect as: ‘Approved for funding subject to registration’, and for those who have been rejected for funding, the status will reflect as ‘Application unsuccessful’.